Monday, May 24, 2010

Emperor Ocean

the unbearable understanding
that every word he is uttering
is greatly important

I couldn't turn from the sobs
you whispered through my ears
The sorrow falling over my shoulders

I am weighted, water soaked
my clothes blue and salty
how could I not let the sea take me?

you'd come home to find me on the rocks
go inside to make tea
then you'll find me gone

start the car, cry and beat the steering wheel
your loving couldn't save me
but you must know I always felt the ocean in your arms

and this morning, you awoke to the bed
damp and cold
I was never there

I'm not sad, I'm not sad
I'm letting the waves carry my battered
bird body away

and you will never know
how those waves felt like your kiss
how that sand felt like your distance

I swear, my insides are empty
just a riverbed now
Your darling Ophelia of the night

There's no consolation
I am bereaved, anchored beneath
your wounded dogs

You never let me grow,
flourish under your looks
I am not rooted to this shore

You came home with groceries
You left me on the rocks
but Emperor Ocean took me away from you.

No comments:

Search This Blog