Saturday, October 16, 2010

Too Much

We walked home, and it was cold
and there were more trees than I remembered
The wind said too much, and you said too little
and I pushed my cheek against your shoulder

now there are words, and also rain
I appreciate the things that will grow
How many hearts to fill and toes to curl
Underneath your warm gaze, I promise to unfurl

Too much ale in my stomach,
too much empty space between our faces
Imagine how much nicer it would be
if your lips were sucking the air from mine

Tomorrow my hair will grow into the earth
but tonight you will be perplexed by my perfume
and my golden eyes
You will find me an angel in a foggy room

There is too much sickness, too much promise
we took the contents of our pockets
And while you were old and wishing to be young
and I was young and wishing to be old
We found a solace in the mysteries of home and wallets

"So tell me, what do you think of the sea?"
I will judge your answer carefully
and do not forget to forget your God
I am harsh as winter and just as broad
broad kneed and broad backed,
my shoulders are cracked
now tell me about your God.

We are fair, and perhaps fairer
than children at play
You are a bit too aloof for these shoes
remove everything else and try another pair,
I'll show you the sea in my hair.

No comments:

Search This Blog