Years ago
Was I in the same state?
No. I have not seen the
world with such poetic
justice before.
And then, there is,
in the morning of course,
the photos of 'i love you'
A sun flare of desire
A flash of enlightened
Then, what was a burning hope
Now, a field of grass.
I laid in this field a year ago
I lounged and was drowsy
I don't remember who I thought of
But, let's see:
You have been in my mind.
taken up house and carved a welcome mat
You fluffed the pillows and swept the floor
Sat in a big leather chair
and read the words of heroes
Then you waited.
So many years you have waited.
So many years I have
had my hand on that door
Had my trembling hand perched
to hear an invitation from inside
I could only hope I hadn't atrophied
I could only hope I'd have the strength
to turn that rusted handle
And with the dawn came a tidal wave
of love for you
you do not know what you have unleashed,
my dear
For thousands of years, through thousands of eyes
I have built up a dam to protect against
the thousands of miles of love I have collected
And you understand perfectly
the weight of my lightness.
No comments:
Post a Comment